[Consortium] free linux driver development

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Tue Mar 20 22:41:33 EDT 2007

Dear Mr. Kroah-Hartman,

I am contacting you on behalf of the Linuxaudio.org consortium as the
currently elected director. Although this email is somewhat belated, I am
rolling here with a motto "better late than never."

My name is Ivica Ico Bukvic and my interest is in discussing a potential
bilateral relationship between your initiative and the Linuxaudio.org
consortium. Namely, we would like to offer matching service for the audio
drivers by pairing our member developers with potential OEM participants. I
am convinced that our membership base has likely greatest understanding of
the audio architecture in Linux kernel, including ALSA, OSS, and FreeBob
(Firewire audio) drivers. I hope you'll agree the fact that all three
projects are currently members of the consortium reflects the trust and
support of the Linux audio community's in the consortium's mission.

I am also convinced that this step is especially important since ALSA
development team (employees of Novell/Suse) has been increasingly encumbered
by secondary tasks and as such they have to split their limited resources
between the ALSA API and driver development.

For this reason, I would like to discuss with you establishment of such a
bilateral relationship for the purpose of the overall betterment of audio
hardware support on Linux in an effort to help ALSA and other projects
persist and perhaps more importantly thrive.

I thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. In the
meantime, should you happen to have any additional questions and/or
concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. For additional info on
Linuxaudio.org, please visit www.linuxaudio.org.

Sincerely,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Linuxaudio.org Director