[Consortium] strange n00b post or: how I learned to embrace open source and stop making money

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 21:12:10 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Patrick
Shirkey<pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:

> On 08/24/2009 03:52 AM, Bryant Hansen wrote:
>>
>>    - is there really a business case Linux adoption?  ...or should this
>> be viewed as a domain for hobbyists?
>>
>>    - are there any ways or indicators of determining the size of the
>> market they might reach if they adopt Linux?
>>
>>    - any tips or suggestions about working with the community?
>>

>> Feel free to respond either on- or off-list.  linuxaudio(at)bryanthansen.net
>>

> I don't think anyone has publically available statistics on the market
> size. There are now several companies making audio hardware that runs on
> Linux. SAE is also training students with Ardour which is bound to have
> a follow on affect for later adoption.
>
> For working with the community try to release early and release often.
> That will go a long way towards getting the naysayers of the high horse.
> Be prepared to battle if you want to make a suggestion to the community
> that is out of line with any or some other peoples views. If you can't
> do the mods and patches by yourself then by all means pay the original
> developers or if they are not available/interested feel free to post
> here or on the LAD mailing list for assistance.

One advantage for hardware vendors: if they're willing to donate a few
devices to open source developers (plus specs), they can probably get
a device driver written for free.

I'll be away from my computer for the next week.  I wish you luck in
your efforts.  This is exactly the kind of support Linux audio needs
to break into the mainstream.
--
 joq