[Consortium] strange n00b post or: how I learned to embrace open source and stop making money

Bryant Hansen linuxaudio at bryanthansen.net
Sun Aug 23 22:16:07 EDT 2009

Hi Ivica,

>>   - are there any ways or indicators of determining the size of the
>> market they might reach if they adopt Linux?
>
> I think this should not be the main agenda when adopting Linux, particularly
> in an embedded environment (which this appears to be the case). The end-user
> does not (and for the most part should not) care what is under the hood, so
> to say. What is under the hood matters only to the extent that it works. And
> if it works better and/or offers potential near or (as is IMHO the case with
> Linux) long-term cost savings over the existing model that is ultimately all
> should matter to businesses. That said, ironically this will also lead to
> potentially larger market as the end-product may achieve lower cost and/or
> greater features, something that is demanded by the consumers.

The reason that I bring this up is that I think market expansion is a
critical part of the business case.  They have a mature, professional
product line that enjoys wide adoption in the audio industry.  It's
stable and runs the software that musicians love.  I'm not optimistic
that many of the existing customers would switch to the GNU/Linux
version in the near future.  My feeling is that this will have to hit a
completely new market in order to justify any costs of development.

Quick point of clarification: the devices have a touchscreen, and both
computer and music keyboards, as well as an array of other controls.
It's not really embedded, but operates like one in many ways.

> Hope this helps!

Yes, it does very much!

> As I mentioned we at LAO would definitely like to help any way we can, and
> should this project take off, I certainly hope that you will consider also
> becoming an active member of the LAO community.

Thank you.  I'm touched by the warm welcome I've received, and certainly
intend to get involved.

Bryant