[Consortium] food for thought

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Jan 4 09:53:25 EST 2009

Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> Although I am rarely a supporter of extreme measures, the following article
> (courtesy of pixel list) provides an interesting angle on the Web 2.0
> leviathans such as Myspace and Facebook:
>
> http://bang.calit2.net/tts/2008/12/31/why-i-am-deleting-my-myspace-account-a
> nd-you-should-too/

Hi Ico,.

Happy New Year to you and best wishes to your family.

May everyone on this list be looking forward to health, wealth and good
vibes for this coming year.

I agree with the sentiment of the link that you posted but I'm not going
to close my myspace account.

Here are three reasons.

!: Access to more people interested in Music.
2: I already have plastered my page with links to my real website
3: Stay close to your friends and closer to your enemy...

I would be happy for Fox to use my site and details because even if they
misrepresented me it would probably give me more publicity and therefore
result in new people looking at my site and possibly learning about
Linux Audio.

The likelihood is sooooooooooo slim that I have only thought about it a
few times.

However I expect that there are people out there who feel that any kind
of self promotion is equivalent to public masturbation and would not
want to have anything to do with myspace or any other promotional
medium. I personally feel that we should be promoting on all available
media as content saturation will eventually get to the masses and
possibly sink in. Word of mouth is still the best way of advertising our
core message (whatever that may be) but if we can get peoples attention
through free sites like myspace then why not participate?

For example. If it ever happens that there is a repetitive moronic ad on
AFN which says the US army uses Linux to make their propaganda videos
then I would laugh my a*** off...

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey