[Consortium] Advertising Policy - linuxaudio.org

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Apr 20 01:49:05 UTC 2012

Hi,

Putting aside the issue of an application for US based 501c3 status for
now the dns for linuxaudio.org is not hosted on Viginia Tech servers. The
domain name is owned and managed by Daniel James and IIUC 64 Studio Ltd is
in charge of the actual payments for keeping the domain alive. That means
we are completely free to have subdomains hosted on entirely different
servers *if we choose to do so*.

There is no technical barrier for having

   <insert name>.linuxaudio.org

subdomain hosted on any publically accessible web server anywhere in the
world. As an extreme example with apache proxying we could even have a
Chinese language version of the entire domain hosted on a Chinese server
in mainland China if we wanted to.

My proposal is to allow the Linux Audio eco system to grow in a certain
direction which has a long term goal of providing a reliable source of
funding and a powerful marketing channel to enable multiple benefits to
flow from there. For example if we are able to get a regular income we
could look at applying for 501c3 status or the equivalent European option.

I would like to be clear that *I am not* proposing that the entire LAO
domain become a marketing free for all. Simply that some of the sub
domains are given authority to take paid advertising which we can then use
to fund additional projects and work.

Given that Linux Audio has very little industry support in the mainstream
media some of us feel that creating a Linux Digital marketing channel is a
 valid direction for long term growth and promotional opportunities. Given
that Linux Audio is one of the foundations of an open source media
platform I think it is appropriate for us to make some movements in that
direction. Effectively creating an open source marketing channel built on
top of Libre technology and expertise.

There are many companies in the audio/media industries that would be happy
to pay us money to advertise their brand in association with the high
quality and stability that Linux Audio represents.

I think it is entirely within our remit as a consortium to allow for and
support growth in this direction. After all as we own the channel we also
control the message. That is a powerful foundation to build on...

If we can agree on the subdomain issue then we will be free to make some
headway in this direction building on top of 10 years of combined content
and SEO across the LAO domain. Otherwise we are forcing the channel to
essentially start from scratch and that seems counter to our stated goals
of supporting businesses which seek to enjoy the benefits from working
within  and supporting the Linux Audio community.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd

--