[Consortium] .com domain name

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Apr 23 11:07:22 UTC 2012

On Mon, April 23, 2012 10:59 am, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
>> I have received the order details from the owners of the linuxaudio.com
>> domain.
>>
>> They are asking for $3130 for the domain.
>
> My personal view is that there is no return on that investment. If it
> belonged to a community member who would use the cash to develop our
> kind of software, I might feel differently, but I don't think that's the
> case here.
>
> Also, I wouldn't want to encourage domain name speculation.
>
>> We just need 313 people to contribute $10 each and we can have it.
>
> There are probably better causes to raise cash for, like sponsoring
> less-well-off developers so they can present at LAC.

I came to the same conclusion myself. That's why I secured

    linux-audio.com

I think it works better as it provides a bit more distinction for our
immediate community and is not too different as to be completely confusing
for the uninitiated.

I'll also add that as long as that url is out of action it means our SEO
is better quality.

I do wonder what the owner would do with it if they did try to capitilise
on it. They would be hard pressed to compete with the whole community in
terms of SEO.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd