[Consortium] high-quality sound card for ExpressCard slot which is (well-)supported under Linux

Ian Dunham iandunham at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 18:31:07 UTC 2012

Also, if future-proofing an investment is a consideration, the Thunderbolt
connector and protocol should give you some piece of mind for express
cards. It can work with them if you use an adapter.

Ian,
yes, "Echo Indigo IOx" soundcard seems to be supported by ALSA. I have
always wondered how important is driver support in terms of sound
quality? I mean the digital-to-analog converter should determine the
sound quality and as this is done in hardware, drivers should not
matter (very) much, should they?

Jeremy,
thanks! I mailed my question to Linux Audio Users mailinglist as well.

Daniel,
I agree that USB if more future-proof and ubiquitous compared to
ExpressCard. On the other hand, for example current models of both
Lenovo T series and HP ProBook/EliteBook series support ExpressCard.
As and expansion slot, ExpressCard is currently the standard.

regards,
Martin