[Consortium] limiting email traffic

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue Oct 29 03:53:06 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Due to excessive posts - in particular on the linux-audio-user email
list, I do propose to rate-limit the number of emails to

  13 emails per user per 24 hours

with direct follows up replies to self counting twice.

It is not unreasonable to assume that a single user posting more than
12 emails per day is either involved in a heated flame-war or - for
want of a better word - a troll. Neither of which is acceptable on the
LA email lists.

I recommend that we advice "power posters of short snippets" to rather
use services such as twitter.

I've checked some random samples and found that no reasonable
discussion on the LA lists in the last 2 years required more than 5
posts per user per day [1]. It is also always the same users (who even
have received prior warnings to heed netiquette) who exceed the limit.
But I still feel that permanently banning or even hellbanning
individual offenders is not the right way to resolve things,
particularly if these persons have no malice intentions.

I have prepared a system that automates the process: It sends out a
warning message after the 9th email and after the 12th email
temporarily bans the user for 6 hours from further posting to the
given email list. Ready to be rolled out.

Please let me know what you think and if you advocate or veto this
endeavor.

yours truly,
robin

[1] 'reasonable' is subjective and the LA lists are also dynamic and
the diversity of people involved in a given subject has a large sigma.
The actual rate-limit may need to be heuristically adjusted. 13
emails/(user*day*list) is a conservative start.

PS. in light of my resignation as root and not being Mailing List
Manager in the first place, consider this a gift. Feel free to reject it.