[Consortium] [Management] Linuxaudio.org update

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Mar 9 15:01:10 CET 2018

> Hi Patrick,
>
>> To really take ownership of the funding issue the Consortium can
>> undertake an Initial Coin Offering (ICO) by creating a Linux Audio Token
>> which can then be traded on the open crypto market.
>
> Personally speaking, I would not support any cryptocurrency proposal. I
> don't think it would enhance our credibility.

Ok, well if y'all change your minds on that it will take about 1 hour to
create an ERC20  smart contract to mint some LAT tokens and then it's up
to the community how much effort we put into an ICO. Payments for the
Tokens during the ICO can be handled in house relatively easily or with a
third party provider if necessary.

It could be a nice sideline for generating a stable source of funding
outside of the corporate structure and financial requirements of being a
member of the Linux Foundation and seeking funding from major sponsors or
simply asking the wider community to just donate cash/crypto with nothing
tangible in return. It seems these days good will doesn't get as much done
in the Linux Audio community as it used to.

> As for being independent from corporate interests, it's corporates who
> pay many if not most kernel developers, one way or another.

For the Linux Foundation the largest proportion of their liquid funds
comes from Membership fees. IIUC the minimum amount is $5k/per year. They
also offer some charitable assistance for Members who can't afford the
annual fees but you don't get to sit at the big peoples table and those
members are not the highest priority for a reasonably small and busy core
staff to look after.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware