[Jack-Devel] Avoiding spinlocks in a parallel sequencer

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Apr 11 15:36:43 CEST 2015

It is interesting to me that JACK can be used this way, but it certainly
wasn't designed with this in mind. JACK was conceived as a way to route
data between applications. Of course, it turns out that those same JACK
ports can be used to route data within an application as well, and of
course Ardour did this for many many years. But relying on JACK to
construct and execute the graph is an entirely different level of relying
on a feature of JACK that was mostly accidental. Ardour has always used its
own algorithm and code to decide how to execute the internal processing
elements that make up its audio graph, even when it used JACK ports to hold
the data.

I do know that some people think it is very elegant and cool that you can
also JACK for this, and I'm glad that both the implementations of the JACK
API are clean enough to work this way. It just isn't what it was intended
for, it adds a little runtime cost, and if you ever decided to have private
internal routing (i.e. not visible to the outside world via JACK), then the
whole thing breaks down.