[Jack-Devel] Avoiding spinlocks in a parallel sequencer

tom at trellis.ch tom at trellis.ch
Sun Apr 12 17:26:36 CEST 2015

On Sun, April 12, 2015 09:22, Johannes Lorenz wrote:
>> Do you want to synchronize JACK clients so they do something in the
>> same cycle / at the same sample time?
>
> Yes, I think so.
>

>> You could inject an event to JACK that's being distributed to the
>> clients (inside JACK). The clients would then receive the events in the
>> same cycle and can process (at given sample pos) in that cycle.
>
> This sounds very good. However, I am not sure what you mean in terms of
> code. Can you please provide some example code?

Take any JACK client code example and start thinking of "bytes" that are
processed at the ports. It could be anything, including your event (that
might be very use-case dependent). For simple stuff, explicit MIDI ports
can be used. You could also use OSC as a container to push custom data
structures around in JACK for pseudo communication between clients.

Regards
Thomas