[Jack-Devel] Jack on Raspberry PI 2 (Ron)

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Fri Apr 17 14:13:46 CEST 2015

On 04/17/2015 02:01 PM, Ron wrote:
> Hi,
> (I hope I am using email correctly.  This is the first time I have used
> an email list such as this)

Hello Ron,

Top posting is discouraged, other than that all is well ;)

> First, let me say thanks to everyone that responded.  The web page link
> really helped.  I have not investigated installing the Raspberry repo of
> jack as of yet.  I will look into that a bit later.   For now I will
> stick with using the source I have from the jack website.
>
> OK,  success (sort of).
> I changed the shared memory size (/dev/shm) to 128M.  Now the jackd
> server starts and stay running.  However when using qjackctl I still
> receive the cannot lock memory message however as I said the server
> actually stays running.  Jackd message output:
>
> 07:36:18.155 Patchbay deactivated.
> 07:36:18.177 Statistics reset.
> 07:36:18.206 ALSA connection change.
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
> Cannot connect to server request channel
> jack server is not running or cannot be started
> 07:36:18.235 ALSA connection graph change.
> 07:36:20.455 JACK is starting...
> 07:36:20.458 /usr/local/bin/jackd -r -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
> Cannot connect to server request channel
> jack server is not running or cannot be started
> 07:36:20.530 JACK was started with PID=2680.
> jackdmp 1.9.11
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> Copyright 2004-2014 Grame.
> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> JACK server starting in non-realtime mode
> Cannot lock down 82278944 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for capture. Falling back to
> playback-only mode
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
> 07:36:22.657 JACK connection change.
> 07:36:22.667 Server configuration saved to "/home/ron/.jackdrc".
> 07:36:22.670 Statistics reset.
> 07:36:22.688 Client activated.
> 07:36:22.701 JACK connection graph change.
> Cannot lock down 82278944 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)

Please post the gpu_mem setting you're using in /boot/config.txt

> BUT if I start jackd via a terminal session (cygwin terminal) and enter:
>
> /usr/local/bin/jackd -r -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2
> jackd responses with:
>
> ron at squireoaksfarm-radio ~/Desktop $ /usr/local/bin/jackd -r -dalsa
> -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2
> jackdmp 1.9.11
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> Copyright 2004-2014 Grame.
> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> JACK server starting in non-realtime mode
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for capture. Falling back to
> playback-only mode
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
>
> As you can see the jackd server does NOT report  can not lock memory.
> Why is this?

Not sure, maybe because the desktop consumes a lot of memory.

> Also ASLA is reporting it can not open the device for capture.  Why is
> this?

Probably because you're using the onboard audio which doesn't do
capturing, only playback. You can circumvent this message by appending
your JACK command with -P.
Or are you using an USB interface that can capture?

> Sorry, but I'm really new to sound and sound device management on
> Linux.  My ultimate goal is to get an application running that requires
> jack and this is my first stumbling block on on that path.

Which application is this about?