[Jack-Devel] Fwd: KDE && jackd flag -l (was: kbiff && zombies)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Jun 6 13:47:58 CEST 2015

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 4:24 AM, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I'm an active FreeBSD user and I'm trying to nail down a problem of
> zombies caused by KDE components which make use of
> jack-audio-connection-kit-0.121.3
>
> To get this debugged I have inserted a wrapper script as
> /usr/local/bin/jackd which does some logging and calls at the end the
> real jackd as jackd.bin (see below). I've stumbled over something in the
> source and man page of jackd which I do not understand:
>
> The man page explains the flag -l as for changing the LISTEN port, while
> the implementation in the C-source use the flag -l to just print the
> actual working directory (/tmp) and do exit(0); see below.

You're confused.

JACK Command line structure:

    jackd [ server options ] -d [ backend name ] [ backend options ]

the same option may appear twice, once as a server option and once as a
backend option. The semantics of each appearance are totally different.

-l is both a server option (meaning: print out the location of the
directory where FIFOs exist to communicate with the the server), and an
option for the net1 backend (meaning: define the listen port for sync
packets).