[Jack-Devel] Noisy Signal - Fragmented Data

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Mon Apr 11 04:50:36 CEST 2016

On Thu, April 7, 2016 6:57 am, Kenneth Fields wrote:
> I find that with larger data chunks (over about 1500k), the packets can be
> fragmented 2 or 3 times or more.

Do you mean 1500k or 1500 bytes?  1500 bytes is the standard maximum
transmission unit (MTU) for Ethernet.  Anything over 1500 bytes is
considered jumbo frames.  Most switches can be configured to accept jumbo
frames but would drop them by default.

> Where does the fragmenting happen, on sender side? In transit?

Your network stack should determine the MTU and only send packets that
size or below.

> Would the machine ever have any problem "reassembling" the chunks?

That is the job of the TCP part of the network stack, so it depends on
whether the protocol you are using uses TCP, UDP, or some other
application level protocol.

--
Chris Caudle