[Jack-Devel] FFADO 2.3.0 released

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Tue Aug 9 01:33:00 CEST 2016

Hi Fons

On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 06:12:23PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM, Jonathan Woithe <jwoithe at just42.net> wrote:
> > > The FFADO developers are pleased to announce FFADO version 2.3.0, a package
> > > of userspace drivers for firewire audio interfaces.  While there are no
> > > significant new features in this version compared to the last, FFADO 2.3.0
> > > contains a large number of incremental improvements.  Users of FFADO are
> > > encouraged to upgrade.
>
> Just a simple question: does FFADO support the Eigenmike OOTB ?
> I know some work on this was done in Parma, but lost track
> after that.

At this stage we don't.  If the Eigenmike's firewire interface is provided
by a generic chipset (such as BeBoB or DICE) then it's possible that the
only thing needed to support it is a configuration entry mapping the
vendor and model ID to the appropriate driver.  To get the vendor and model
IDs we would need someone with an Eigenmike to obtain this information from
the device.

According to the em32 release notes[1] it seems that this device uses the
DICE chipset.  It is therefore possible that FFADO would support audio
streaming from this microphone if we knew the vendor and model IDs using the
generic DICE driver.  It would have to be tested.  The release notes go on
to say that the microphone can be controlled to a certain extent from the
computer.  This involves a virtual MIDI stream but the nature of this is not
clear: it could use standard MIDI commands according to a published MIDI
map, or it might use a proprietary command stream embedded in sysex
messages.  Obviously FFADO will not support this until someone is able to
identify the nature of the control methods so appropriate software can be
written.

We would of course welcome contributions which lead to FFADO support for the
Eigenmike.

Regards
  jonathan

[1] https://www.mhacoustics.com/sites/default/files/ReleaseNotes.pdf