[Jack-Devel] stepping down

John Rigg j at jrigg.co.uk
Mon Feb 1 12:07:25 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 08:53:05PM +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> It seems that the differences between JACK1 and JACK2 relate to the
> intended target use case. JACK2 does a decent job of trying to enable many
> consumer friendly tasks and take out some of the pain of doing inter
> application audio production. JACK1 handles some heavy lifting scenarios
> more effectively than JACK2.
>
> Maybe that is a good direction to continue for the different codebases?
>
> JACK1 - Heavy lift mechanism for high performance Linux platforms
> JACK2 - Flexible user friendly solution with cross platform support

I think that distinction is somewhat arbitrary. Some of us use JACK2 as a
multi-core replacement for JACK1. My own use case typically involves multiple
jack clients, sometimes large numbers of them, and JACK2 usually gives me
better performance on SMP systems. D-bus is actually irrelevant to me.

John