[Jack-Devel] No DAWism, please.

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Mon Feb 1 13:00:46 CET 2016

I love Ardour. It is the heart of many of my important workflows. But
there are other equally important workflows that don't require Ardour,
or any other DAW. Jack is not about DAWs only. Jack is about getting
audio stuff done that is otherwise impossible to get done. Jack is not
for Aunt Tilly to hear her "you have mail" chime, or for people to watch
youtube in. Jack is for pros, experimenters, production environments.
Jack is used all over the world to drive systems with more speakers than
Aunt Tilly has years.

Anything that makes Jack even more useful to DAW users or even Aunt
Tilly is welcome, as long as it doesn't affect the pro usecases. Tack on
a session manager, nice, go ahead. Turn Jack into an inflamed appendix
of the fashionable usecase of the day, not ok.
Anything that will cause any "you have mail" chimes to end up on my PA
systems without me having asked for it explicitly will get a personal
visit from me and my 22 wrench for a quick brainstorming session on
systems design.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net