[Jack-Devel] Client-Server models are just fine. Please?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Mon Feb 1 13:09:10 CET 2016

On 02/01/2016 12:52 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> * pop open a notice to the effect that no jack server has been found and
> does the user want you to do that for her/him? together with a checkbox
> to not ask again and a notice on how to undo the "don't ask again".
>
> * spawn a jackd server and explain to the user how it guessed what
> configuration to use and how to change that. also point out to the user
> how to see/modify jack connections with jack_lsp/jack_connect (because
> they will always be present on any system that has jack) and of course
> point to user-friendly tools such as JackPilot, qjackctl, or patchage.
> also tell the user how to access jackd error messages.

i guess my point in a nutshell is this: if you invent some
user-friendliness that shields the user from having to manually set up a
key part of their workflow, you are responsible for making sure they are
aware what's being done, and ideally learn how to do it/control it
themselves.
discoverability, discoverability, discoverability.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net