[Jack-Devel] Client-Server models are just fine. Please?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Mon Feb 1 13:39:59 CET 2016

On 02/01/2016 01:28 PM, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> Instead - and
> this is my highly
> opinioned opinion - the client should sometimes also be the server,

i disagree, most emphatically. the client should never be the server. do
you want to spend ages figuring out whether a jack problem happened with
an in-process server or external server, each time a user cries their
eyes out on IRC? do you want to battle all the conceptual
misunderstandings about how in-process servers are faster, and
out-of-process servers are more robust, and sound warmer? why? what's so
bad about a clean conceptual separation?

> and
> all the server
> options and feedback, should be accessible to the client.

now that is something we can agree on, but that's *completely* orthogonal.

but the way i do it, i open qjackctl and look at the message window.
problem solved. and i guess i can explain that to users far more quickly
than you can implement a new message passing API for jackd.
developer time saved, user understanding improved. two sacred pillars of
the open source culture.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net