[Jack-Devel] stepping down

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Feb 1 14:17:08 CET 2016

On Mon, February 1, 2016 10:07 pm, John Rigg wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 08:53:05PM +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> It seems that the differences between JACK1 and JACK2 relate to the
>> intended target use case. JACK2 does a decent job of trying to enable
>> many
>> consumer friendly tasks and take out some of the pain of doing inter
>> application audio production. JACK1 handles some heavy lifting scenarios
>> more effectively than JACK2.
>>
>> Maybe that is a good direction to continue for the different codebases?
>>
>> JACK1 - Heavy lift mechanism for high performance Linux platforms
>> JACK2 - Flexible user friendly solution with cross platform support
>
> I think that distinction is somewhat arbitrary. Some of us use JACK2 as a
> multi-core replacement for JACK1. My own use case typically involves
> multiple
> jack clients, sometimes large numbers of them, and JACK2 usually gives me
> better performance on SMP systems. D-bus is actually irrelevant to me.

Maybe it is the difference in the way we are using JACK over here.
Particularly with netjack but also with a variety of older systems.  In
some cases we don't have pulseaudio or D-bus running. in total we have
more consistent results with JACK1 for our use case.

I'm not saying that JACK2 cannot be made to perform as well as JACK1 in
the same circumstances and it could also be that proper A/B testing
reveals a user bias instead of real world performance differences.

However we generally do not have the time or inclination to do such tests
as it usually takes a considerable amount of effort to get a fully working
system and trying to replicate the results with JACK2 is not our main
motivation.

The point is that JACK1 is still very useful so unless we are going to
spend a lot of time/effort to track down the differences between JACK1 and
JACK2 it is useful to keep JACK1 alive for specific use cases.

Assuming that we have a few people who are willing to keep contributing to
the JACK1 codebase then it shouldn't be a problem for JACK1 to track JACK2
or vice versa.

However if no one wants to continue maintaining JACK1 then we need to
spend some time to find and isolate any differences in performance between
the two.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd