[Jack-Devel] Client-Server models are just fine. Please?

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:23:17 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Stéphane Letz <letz at grame.fr> wrote:

> Le 1 févr. 2016 à 16:53, Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com> a
> écrit :
>

> > On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 4:39 PM, sqweek <sqweek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1 February 2016 at 22:31, Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > The best part about this is that it just works with no change to
> > jackd, no change to libjack, and no change to any clients. This is
> > UNIX philosophy. We have simple tools and we glue them together. And
> > the result is beautiful.
> >
> > And I'm proposing to extend that thought further by putting the server
> part
> > of jackd into a library.
>
> GRRR :  libjackserver has been there since 2007 ? 2008  ? and jackd is
> (since that time….) an executable that uses the so-control API to start and
> control the server, and is *linked* with libjackserver…

Oh, right. That's what I thought too, but I must have misunderstood what
Paul
meant by "libjackserver isn't what you think it is". Anyway, good to know.
Now we only need to add gui functions to libjackserver (i.e. pull out stuff
from
qjackctl into a new executable which can only be started by libjackserver,
and communicate
with that executable via sockets), move libjackserver into libjack,
and let jack_client_open start jack via libjackserver.