[Jack-Devel] Client-Server models are just fine. Please?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Feb 1 18:12:28 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 12:01 PM, <tom at trellis.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, February 1, 2016 17:47, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > it is just amazing to me, given all the other useful things that JACK
> > could be made to do, that anyone is talking about the mechanics of
> > starting it.
>
> apropos startup: can a client today start up a dummy server with given
> properties? for a temporary non-default/private ecosystem i.e. for
> freewheeling without interrupting the default jack that is possibly
> attached to the hardware.

Configuring a given JACK server is always a potentially complex operation,
given the number of possible parameters for both the server and the backend.

Any client can start a server with any parameters. But for that to be
useful to the user, it probably has to present the options to the user and
gather their choices; That isn't trivial, which is partly why almost no
clients bother to even try this (Ardour is one of the few non-control
applications that does, and even it imposes drastic limitations on options
the user can select from).