[Jack-Devel] stepping down

Spencer Russell sfr at media.mit.edu
Sun Jan 31 05:12:02 CET 2016

Thanks Paul, for all your work on JACK and Ardour. You’ve been, and continue to be, a huge force in open-source audio. I remember back in 2004 when I was a college student interning in Ron Parker’s recording studio, talking on IRC, reporting bugs, and testing out new builds. It was a formative time for me. I’m amazed and grateful that you’re keeping Ardour moving, relevant, and useful.

I agree JACK probably isn’t the right solution for your basic DAW user. That said, I think there’s great value in the general paradigm of separating the routing from the applications. As an application developer, it’s great to just expose your ports and make routing Somebody Else’s Problem.

I definitely don’t think JACK is dead (and that’s not how I read Paul’s words). Sure, there aren’t a bunch of new features all the time, but that’s not why I use JACK. It’s plumbing that works well. It enables things that are hard to do otherwise. Long Live JACK(N).

-s