[Jack-Devel] shm registry full errors

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Jun 11 02:44:52 CEST 2016

bridges are the wrong analogy. or maybe they are the perfect analogy.

the capacity of a bridge is typically measured in mass units (so many kg or
tonnes or whatever). if someone comes along and asks "how many vehicles can
the bridge support?", there is no good answer. if we're talking about a
bunch of small passenger cars, the answer will be completely different than
if the vehicles are all massive freight haulers moving the parts of another
bridge, tanks and large concrete shapes.

JACK is similar. I could tell you that most systems can get up to between
80-95% "DSP load" level before things start falling apart. But what means
in terms of actual clients is really indeterminate until you know what
those clients do.