[Jack-Devel] Odp: Re: New build of QJackCtl for Windows

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Thu May 12 19:22:35 CEST 2016

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 07:27:40 AM Paul Davis wrote:
> Port aliases were almost never used for anything, and the current build of
> qjackctl has support for them removed.

No!
If you are thinking of this, please don't remove alias support from Jack!
Or at least replace it with some default metadata containing similar
 'friendly' port names, as I had requested some time ago.

Aliases (at least the default ones supplied by Jack)
 are very important for MusE.

We use them to reconnect ports that are not available,
 when those ports become available again. (USB midi etc.)
A sort of 'session management' feature. It works quite well.

The standard 'canonical' names (System::midi_playback_1)
 provided by ports are /not/ sufficient for this task
 since the numeric portion is derived from simple 'up counters'
 which change value every time a device is re-plugged.

I can provide more details if needed.
We look for which ever port name or alias does /not/
 contain the word 'System:', if possible.

Thanks.
Tim.