[Jack-Devel] 32 channel limit

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Thu May 12 23:04:34 CEST 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 12:02 pm, aledez0 wrote:
> what i have done in the past to get 32 was go into the jack ini file and
> change the values there. i tried going higher than 32 but it still only
> goes to 32. in pro tools it shows all 64 outs but when i route signal
> from 63, 64 to my output speakers it doesn't work.

You changed the jack ini file, or the jackrouter ini file?  I don't use
jack on Windows, but my understanding is that there is an additional
component known as jackrouter present when you need to connect
applications such as ProTools which do not have native jack support, and
that component presents an ASIO interface to the windows applications, and
a jack client interface to the jack server.

My guess (again, not using jack on windows myself) is that both jackrouter
and jack server would need to be configured for a higher port count.

If you are using the instructions here:
http://www.jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html

The change in the parameters passed to jack server to increase port count
would be in this step on that page:

Add the following information to the ‘Target’ property:
"C:\Program Files\Jack\jackd.exe" -R -S -d portaudio -d "ASIO::ASIO4ALL v2"

I don't see a port count defined there, and I'm not sure how jack on
windows defines the default number of ports, but you could for example add
-p 64 between the "-S" and the "-d portaudio" arguments.  Order is
important, because the arguments before the driver are for jack server
itself, arguments after the driver name (port audio and ASIO) are for the
driver, not the server.

It would probably be good to run that exact command line copied and pasted
into a cmd window to make sure there are no errors or warnings reported,
if you start that from a desktop shortcut and there is an error, the
window will close before you get a chance to read the error message.

After that is working you can change the IO count in the jackrouter.ini
file to match the 64 port count.  Actually, 64 for the jack server would
include however many connections you want from ProTools plus your sound
card connections, so depending on how many connections you want to make
from ProTools simultaneously you may need a few more in the jackd
configuration than in the jackrouter configuration.

There seem to be relatively few Windows users on the jack development
mailing list, you may have better luck finding someone who knows for sure
on the Harrison forums.

--
Chris Caudle