[Jack-Devel] Metadata

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Sat May 14 00:59:57 CEST 2016

On Friday, May 13, 2016 04:54:59 PM Paul Davis wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Tim E. Real <termtech at rogers.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday, May 12, 2016 07:27:40 AM Paul Davis wrote:
> > > Port aliases were almost never used for anything, and the current build
> >
> > of
> >
> > > qjackctl has support for them removed.
> >
> > No!
> > If you are thinking of this, please don't remove alias support from Jack!
> > Or at least replace it with some default metadata containing similar
> >
> >  'friendly' port names, as I had requested some time ago.
>
> Apparently you're not on the jack-devel mailing list.
>
> Port aliases were removed.
>
> Port pretty-names have a standard URI, and have since before the metadata
> API was implemented. Anyone can define metadata URIs (keys). A few are
> standard, as is
>
> Qjackctl supports all this already.

Ah, sorry for the noise, again. I'm an email dinosaur.

When I last tried metadata several months ago I didn't seem
 to get any default pretty names. I was really worried...

So I just now built jack-1 and yes, pretty names are there in QJackCtl.

Tres cool !

Just to be clear, is it Jack which sets these default pretty strings?

Awesome, thanks Paul.

PS: Have you done anything with metadata tempo maps, in say Ardour?

Tim.