[Jack-Devel] netJACK2 with two nodes

xan xan at 0l3.de
Sun May 29 18:07:30 CEST 2016

Hello JACK community,

I’m planning my new audio editing setup (both hard- and software) and before investing in hardware, I’d like to ask for advice.

Here’s what I want to do:
– Both computers run Linux.
– On Computer A, I can browse the web and see Youtube videos, I can listen to MP3 files with Totem and I can do DAW stuff with Ardour.
– Computer B does nothing more than getting all the sound output from A and feed it to the speaker through it’s soundcard.

Here’s my theoretical approach:
– Both computers run JACK.
– A runs PulseAudio in top of JACK.
– A runs with the net backend using netJACK2.
– B has the Net Manager loaded which gets the audio from A and pipes it to the soundcard.
– Every time I boot the two computers, they are ready to work. No daemons I have to launch manually, etc. I want the configuration to be done one time for all.

I got my understanding of JACK through the network from here: https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/WalkThrough_User_NetJack2 And this site would also be my guide for setting up the thing.
But I’m not a JACK expert at all. It’s the first time I’m doing something like this. So I want to make shure I got the basics right. And, maybe you now even a better step-by-step tutorial which does exactly what I want.

So, I appreciate any comments on this.

Bye,
xan