[Jack-Devel] Suggestion for an example program

Markus Seeber markus.seeber at spectralbird.de
Wed Sep 7 10:41:20 CEST 2016

On 09/04/2016 08:28 AM, Peter Hoppe wrote:
> Hi! In reference to https://github.com/jackaudio/example-clients: I
> saw the code as part of a question on Stackoverflow
> (http://stackoverflow.com/q/29748082/6544953). Would it be possible to
> include the source code below as an example?

Isn't this just a modified version of the simple_client.c example client?
>  * There's also the simple client example (simple_client.c), but that
>    one (effectively) handles bi-directional audio data streaming. This
>    client just sends audio data which makes it clearer how to use data
>    output (and, by implication, data input).
No it does NOT do "bi-directional" audio streaming. Please look up the
term "bi-directional" and read the source code/comments.

> Long story in short - this example is clearer to n00bs (like me).
Is suspect, that it only appears to be clearer instead of actually
clarifying things.

Personally I do not think that simple_client.c is substantially more
complicated, actually it is even simpler since it does not contain any
logic to generate a signal but instead just copies the input to the
output. It is even documented nicely, especially the process function.

I would recommend you to try to understand simple_client.c and instead
post what you do not understand. We may come to a conclusion when that
happens.

Greetings
Markus