[Jack-Devel] Failures in connecting mac OSX Sierra and an embedded board with linux via netjack2

Wed Apr 26 19:22:28 CEST 2017

Hi all,
I have issues when trying to connect via netjack2 an odroid embedded board
(with linux debian, real time kernel) and a new macbookpro 2016 with OSX
Sierra 10.12.4.

My goal is to send audio from the odroid board (master) to the mac (slave)
using a direct ethernet connection. Basically I want to test the simple
case of playing a file from the board and listen to the result on the
loudspekers of the mac.

I verified that multicasting is enabled on both the board and the mac. From
the mac I connect to the board via SSH. I have set static Ip addresses on
both the board and the mac.

I am using the latest version of jack2 (jackdmp 1.9.11). Notably, I have
not compiled jack2 with dbus as I am running jack headless (following the
advise found on http://jrigg.co.uk/linuxaudio/jack2debian7.html).

To implement the netjack2 connection I followed the instructions on the
jack audio website
https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/WalkThrough_User_NetJack2.
The result is that the slave keep waiting for a master.

These are the outputs I get:

On the master:
/usr/bin/jackd -P 70 -p96 -t 2000 -dalsa -dhw:CODEC -S -s -r48000 -p128 -n2
jack_load netmanager

jackdmp 1.9.11
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2015 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 70
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
creating alsa driver ...
hw:CODEC|hw:CODEC|128|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|soft-mode|16bit
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 128 frames (2.7 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
Starting Jack NetManager
Listening on '225.3.19.154:19000'

on the slave:

jackd -R -d net

jackdmp 1.9.11
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
NetDriver started in async mode without Master's transport sync.
Waiting for a master...

Any advise?

Actually, if can be of any help, I also tried to set the mac as master and
the linux board as the slave. The result is that they seem to communicate,
although jack on the mac crashes giving the error "Floating point
exception: 8":

On the master (mac):
jackd -P 70 -p96 -t 2000 -dcoreaudio  -s -r48000 -p128 -n2
jack_load netmanager

jackdmp 1.9.11
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 70
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
Default input and output devices are not the same !!
Cannot open default device in duplex mode, so aggregate default input and
default output
Separated input = 'Built-in Microphone'
Separated output = 'Built-in Output'
Clock drift compensation was asked but is not needed (devices use the same
clock domain)
Ignore incorrect channel mapping value = 2
Input channel = 0 ==> JACK input port = 0
Input channel = 1 ==> JACK input port = 1
JACK output port = 0 ==> output channel = 0
JACK output port = 1 ==> output channel = 1
CoreAudio driver is running...
Starting Jack NetManager
Listening on '225.3.19.154:19000'
Takes physical 2 audio output(s) for slave
Takes physical 0 MIDI input(s) for slave
Takes physical 0 MIDI output(s) for slave
Sending parameters to ...
Floating point exception: 8

On the slave (linux board):
jackd -R -d net -a 192.168.117.129 -p 19000

jackdmp 1.9.11
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2015 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
NetDriver started in async mode without Master's transport sync.
Waiting for a master...
Initializing connection with ucas-MacBook-Pro-9.local...
Maximum number of input ports is reached for application ref = 0
driver: cannot register port for system:midi_playback_769
Can't allocate ports.
Initing net driver fails...

Notably the result of jack_lsp on the slave is:

system:capture_1
system:capture_2
system:midi_playback_1
system:midi_playback_2
system:midi_playback_3
…..
system:midi_playback_766
system:midi_playback_767
system:midi_playback_768

It seams that there is a problem with the MIDI ports but I really can't
understand how to solve this.

Thanks in advance

Cheers