[Jack-Devel] Failures in connecting mac OSX Sierra and an embedded board with linux via netjack2

Thu Apr 27 01:24:55 CEST 2017

Dear Chris,
thanks a lot for your prompt reply,

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 11:45 PM, Chris Caudle <chris at chriscaudle.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, April 26, 2017 12:22 pm, Frodo Jedi wrote:
> > My goal is to send audio from the odroid board (master)
> > to the mac (slave) using a direct ethernet connection.
>
> The jackd master is the device with the audio hardware.  Are your problems
> perhaps caused because you are following the setup instructions for master
> on a device with no audio hardware? (saw later on that you tried the other
> way around, so let's concentrate on that configuration).

Actually, my goal is that of sending audio from the board to other
connected devices, for the moment I am using a mac, it could be another pc
with linux or windows.
I am going for a wired connection first, with the final aim to test
netjack2 over wifi, and compare the wired and wireless behaviours under
various conditions.

The odroid board (configured as master in the first case) has a beheringer
soundcard perfectly working, I can record and listen audio using it. So I
should be able to use the odroid + soundcard configuration as a master, and
the mac as a slave. Right?

> > On the master:
> > /usr/bin/jackd -P 70 -p96 -t 2000 -dalsa -dhw:CODEC -S -s
> > -r48000 -p128 -n2
>
> > jack_load netmanager
>

> That is on the odroid?

yes

> What ALSA compatible hardware is on the odroid?

U-CONTROL UCA222

https://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Audio-Interfaces/UCA222/p/P0A31

> In any event, the short of it is that ALSA is the driver for the audio
> hardware, so whichever device has speakers connected better be the device
> where you are giving the driver argument as "-dalsa" or you won't hear any
> sound.
>
> > Actually, if can be of any help, I also tried to set the mac
> > as master and the linux board as the slave.
>
> That should be the correct configuration if you want to connect the mac to
> an amplifier and speakers and you want the linux odroid system to just
> send digital audio information to the mac and have the mac play the audio.

Ok, but my goal is to have a networked configuration where the linux odroid
system broadcast
audio to various connected devices. My understanding is that the odroid
must be the master and
all the other devices receiving and reproducing the audio signal must be
the slave. Am I wrong?

> >  The result is that they seem to communicate,
> > although jack on the mac crashes giving the error
> > "Floating point exception: 8":
>
> Can you run local jack aware software on the mac and play audio through
> the mac audio hardware?  Make sure you can get that working first before
> trying to bring networking into it.

Of course, I successfully used jack2 on the mac, it perfectly works (for
instance with Audacity or Max/MSP 7).

> > Default input and output devices are not the same !!
> > Cannot open default device in duplex mode, so aggregate
> > default input and default output
> > Separated input = 'Built-in Microphone'
> > Separated output = 'Built-in Output'
>
> If you aren't going to use "Built-in Microphone" as an input device, you
> could start with playback only.  That should get rid of the "input and
> output devices are not the same !!" warning.   I think that would be -P
> passed the coreaudio driver parameters, or maybe -Cno -Pyes, the manual
> page is a little vaguely
> worded and I don't have a machine with coreaudio to play with to try it
> out.
>
> That is assuming you want to use the built in audio for the output,
> otherwise the wrong device is selected and you need to sort that out
> first.

Ok I will try tomorrow and report to you. At the moment yes the mac's built
in audio for the output  is what I want to test.

> > Takes physical 2 audio output(s) for slave
> > Takes physical 0 MIDI input(s) for slave
> > Takes physical 0 MIDI output(s) for slave
> > Sending parameters to ...
> > Floating point exception: 8
>
> This is a modern mac with Intel processor?  Just making sure.  I don't
> have a mac myself, but just in case someone else can help, which OS
> version?

Yes, I am using the very last macbook pro, with the very last and updated
OS X (version 10.12.4).

> This is the default multicast address reported by the master:
> > Starting Jack NetManager
> > Listening on '225.3.19.154:19000'
>
> But you specified a unicast address in the place where you would usually
> specify a multicast address different than default:
> > On the slave (linux board):
> > jackd -R -d net -a 192.168.117.129 -p 19000
>
> From the walk-through you linked:
> Parameters for driver 'net' (all parameters are optional):
>         -a, --multicast_ip      Multicast Address (default: 225.3.19.154)
>
> You are giving a unicast address as the argument for the multicast address
> to use.  Why did you think you needed to do that?
> It seems the unicast address was ignored, because there is a message later
> showing connected to macbook.

I don't have the setup right now, I will re-test tomorrow, but if I
correctly remember, I used the address 192.168.117.129
(which is the static address I gave to the mac) because simply using  jackd
-R -d net (which takes the default) did not work.

> > Maximum number of input ports is reached for application ref = 0
> > driver: cannot register port for system:midi_playback_769
> > Can't allocate ports.
> > Initing net driver fails...
>
> That looks like the net backend driver is trying to register MIDI  ports
> for some reason, but the documentation says the default is no MIDI ports.
> From the walk-through page "The default configuration is a simple stereo
> use, with no midi port."  Maybe one of the jack2 devs can comment on
> whether the behavior and documentation have diverged.

Yes it would be great if any jack developer could comment on this. I am
available to contribute to the jack community
by doing some tests on the mac if needed.

> If you do get rid of the internal microphone as an input port, you should
> probably set the net backend to not expect any input ports.   I think that
> would be adding -C 0 -P 2 to the arguments after -dnet.
> I guess for good measure you could add -i 0 -o 0 to specify 0 MIDI in and
> out ports, although that is supposed to be the default.

I will try tomorrow and report.

However, this is not the main goal I want to pursue, as I want to send
audio from the linux odroid board.
Any further insight on this?

Cheers