[Jack-Devel] Jack: "Too many servers already active"

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Wed Aug 23 02:41:29 CEST 2017

On 08/22/17 17:21, Malik Costet wrote:
> Today, to my surprise, I seem to have hit upon some kind of limit, for
> attempts to launch a server (via the command-line) fail with the message
> "Too many servers already active". I haven't kept count, but I might
> have successfully started and stopped a couple dozen instances of JACK
> before that happened (only ever one at a time, though).

Quick search through the Jack code shows that this message results from
Jack attempting to be helpful that ends up being unhelpful:

 >         case ENOSPC:
 >                 fprintf (stderr, "too many servers already active\n");
 >                 exit (2);

#define    ENOSPC        28        /* No space left on device */

You have a 'disk-full' condition. This most likely has nothing to do
with having "too many servers already active".

Jack needs to use strerror() instead.

Yuri