[Jack-Devel] Jack server keeps playing sound after client disconnetcs

Malik Costet jack-devel at malikc.neomailbox.net
Thu Aug 24 23:12:38 CEST 2017

On 2017-08-24 22:22, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 11:50:23 -0700, Yuri wrote:
>> No, I am not assuming this. Ctrl+C, of course, doesn't guarantee a
>> particular action. I am just pointing out that in case of a
>> client-server architecture, which is the case here, server can't rely
>> on the client to always take a particular action before disconnecting.
>> It is a much more sound strategy to always clean up after
>> disconnecting client regardless of what the client did.
>
> IMO a sound server aimed for real-time usage should assume that clients
> do the right thing.

That's a very fine line there. Yes, the server should put the onus on
the client to do the right thing /in order to achieve functionality for
that client/, but at the same time, the server should not make it
possible for one misbehaving client to impair functionality of behaving
clients.

I'm saying this because I just had an issue (see "Too many servers
already active" thread, in which Yuri was involved) which could possibly
be an example of this -- I don't know whether the two are related --
namely, that misbehaving clients would lead to a situation where the
server itself became unusable. This is something that IMHO the server
should prevent.

In other words, while compliant clients SHOULD take steps, for instance,
to de-register themselves from the server on exit, the server MUST have
means of detecting and evicting "bad" clients, at the very least so that
they don't affect the server's very functioning. It doesn't have to be
immediate, or come without any temporary, functional issues at all
costs; but at least in the long run, the server should be able to
recover. This isn't a matter of real-time or no; it's a requirement for
a collaborative software environment.

M.