[Jack-Devel] Jack server keeps playing sound after client disconnetcs

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Aug 25 01:21:22 CEST 2017

"Chris Caudle" <chris at chriscaudle.org> writes:

> On Thu, August 24, 2017 4:12 pm, Malik Costet wrote:
>> the server should not make it
>> possible for one misbehaving client to impair functionality of behaving
>> clients.
>
> In general that should be the case.  When clients are too slow in
> processing you will sometimes see jackd messages about removing
> "zombified" clients.
> The behavior you described seems like jackd for some reason was processing
> the buffers as if the client app was still filling the buffers with new
> data, when in fact it had not.
>
> I think the original message said that jackd kept playing old audio. If it
> was just jack playing out the buffers with old data I would expect at most
> maybe 30 ms of audio (e.g. 512 samples per period, 3 periods, 48k
> samples/second) which would not really be recognizable audio.  Was that
> what was meant by playing back old audio, or did it mean a recognizable
> section of audio, like 250 ms or more?  In that case I would suspect the
> application was mismanaging the buffers in some way.

As a note aside: I had the Aeolus/jackd combination occasionally getting
stuck and just producing noise semipermanently.  It might have been
because I was running 32-bit applications on 64-bit kernel: ALSA passes
structures into system calls that are different in size for 32-bit and
64-bit code and does no conversions to make them fit.  It's a wonder
that the application usually worked.  Until it didn't, of course.  I was
running a 64-bit Jackd however.

--
David Kastrup