[Jack-Devel] ?==?utf-8?q? Jack server keeps playing sound after client disconnetcs

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Aug 25 19:41:00 CEST 2017

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> I don't know why you want to interrupt a client playing an audio
> signal using Ctrl+C, if everything is ok. If you do this, since
> something else already went wrong, then I don't understand, why you
> don't want to kill jackd.

It doesn't matter.  There is no point in Jackd being dependent on other
applications' behavior for sensible behavior of its own, most
particularly not on particular procedures for their termination.  Unless
they have explicitly set up actions to be taken after their termination
(connecting Jack ports may count among that set: it might be an idea to
require applications to mark its connections explicitly if it wants them
to stay around after finishing, like jack_connect obviously would),
Jackd should just revert to a "virgin" state when they terminate.

> Even if jackd should need the improvement you requested, consider to
> do such things in a logical order, as you would do when using
> expensive hardware in an audio studio. You wouldn't pull on a cable,
> to unplug a jack, then stop playing your instrument and after that
> turn of the amp.  You would first stop playing, then turn of the amp
> and after that hold the plug to disconnect it.

You know: mixers that start with a _huuuuuge_ switch-on bump blowing out
the bass speakers and waking all the neighbors are badly designed.  Yes,
one can work even with badly designed equipment, but there is no real
necessity of making Jack badly designed for educational purposes.

> If something should go wrong, you would use the emergency stop switch
> to stop everything,

A "killall" is an emergency switch.  You'll still get that bass bump if
your mixer sucks.

> you don't want that the emergency stop switch let the mixing console
> turned on.

The power supplies give out in order of their buffering capacities even
when the emergency switch is wired to everything at once.

--
David Kastrup