[Jack-Devel] ?==?utf-8?q? Jack server keeps playing sound after client disconnetcs

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Aug 25 21:48:19 CEST 2017

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 10:24:43 -0700, Yuri wrote:
>>Because I am not in a production environment. I experiment, and need
>>to stop looped scripts.
>
> Consider that if jackd would include all kinds of protection measures,
> the risk of false positives could increase.

Client death is not "all kind of protection measures".  It is a
completely basic condition that needs to be recognized and dealt with
sensibly.

Now "client hangs in unkillable state due to a driver giving out" is the
kind of condition that is hard to detect reliably and cater for.  I
don't expect Jackd to go out of its depth to detect this condition
specifically.  But it falls under the general "client stopped talking to
me" category that Jackd needs to be able to deal with even if it has to
consider "but it might start talking again eventually".

But "client died" is something that should confuse Jackd only under most
exceptional circumstances.

>>You know: mixers that start with a _huuuuuge_ switch-on bump blowing
>>out the bass speakers and waking all the neighbors are badly designed.
>>Yes, one can work even with badly designed equipment, but there is no
>>real necessity of making Jack badly designed for educational purposes.
>
> A a careful audio engineer would always use a sane order to turn on
> equipment, even if the equipment should provide all kinds of
> protection measures.

So you insist that Jackd should be badly designed with regard to client
death, as a disciplinary measure?

I think our time is better spent improving Jackd rather than improving
Yuri.  Because improving Jackd will help a lot of users while improving
Yuri will only help a single one.

--
David Kastrup