[Jack-Devel] ?==?utf-8?q? Jack server keeps playing sound after client disconnetcs

Ralf Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Tue Aug 29 17:20:45 CEST 2017

Am Dienstag, 29. August 2017 16:24 CEST, Malik Costet <jack-devel at malikc.neomailbox.net> schrieb:

> On 2017-08-29 13:31, Thomas Brand wrote:
> > If It plays forever now that's indeed strange.
> > Can you describe the sound? Is it "normal", like a song that just
> > continues normally or more like crackle, arbitrary buffer data? Where does
> > that data come from if the client is dead? Where do the clients get their
> > data to put to jack? Do you see any remains of a dead client in the
> > system?

I think it's waisted time to play the guessing game without better information
to start with:

how was the jack server started? Jackd's client treatment can be heavily changed with
command line parameters (-t/--timeout and -Z/--nozombies).

A reasonable test case (a sine tone is probably the worst tone to detect if it's one buffer
played over and over or something still feeding frames to jack) and a test program that
doesn't involve a client-server setup (where both client and server register with jack) and
a real KILL signal to kill the sound generating process (sclang does all sorts of things after
receiving a signal. Just do a proper sclang termination (i.e. send Ctr-D/EOF to the repl) to
see what sort of shutdown handlers clang has (BTW, on my clang installation Ctr-C just
does a clear-line, so no idea what clang binary Yuri uses ...).

> Correct me if I'm wrong: jack_client has a process callback that it
> registers with jackd, which invokes it and expects a 0 status code
> indicating that it should continue playing the buffers, right?

No, afaik that callback gets invoked from a (realtime priority) thread in the
client process (that thread is managed by libjack.so, _not_ the server). Jackd
merely signals that it's time to update the buffers.

> I mean,
> that data structure resides (or at least exists) in jackd's program
> space, right?

No, that callback is in the client's address space. Jackd and each client
share memory segments (shared memory), IIRC one segment per client port.

> Could it be that if jackd misses the client's disconnect, it keeps
> invoking that callback,

No client (process killed) -> no callback.
My first hypothesis would have been a kill that doesn't kill all threads and
a callback that would continue to fill the frame buffer, but that would be seen
in ps ...

> but because the client isn't there any more, the
> status code automatically stays 0 and hence it carries on rendering and
> re-rendering that buffer indefinitely?

That's why it's so important to know how jack was invoked. Killing a process
does not remove shared memory segments (after all, that's why they are called
"shared"). It would be a reasonable guess that these segments continue to live
and jackd doesn't detect that the client disapeared (again: this depends on jackd's
startup/configuration). BUT: Yuri claims that jack_lsp does not list those client ports!

So, from the symptoms given to us (no client process/thread, jackd claims that the client
disapeared) it's hard to think of a situation where jackd would still be reading samples from
the shared memory (on Linux the first thing I'd do would be to look at those segments and check
how many processes are using them: $ fuser -u /dev/shm/sem.jack_sem.1000_default_GrandOrgue).

> If that's the case, it might have been a better idea to use non-zero
> status codes to indicate continue; although it's likely too late to
> change that.

That's a libjack API, not a jack client/server API.

Cheers, Ralf Mattes