[Jack-Devel] Test 1,2

Thomas Brand tom at trellis.ch
Sun Dec 10 14:48:02 CET 2017

On Sun, December 10, 2017 14:42, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Thomas Brand <tom at trellis.ch> wrote:

>>> The windows versions of Radium has included a custom version of jack
>>> 1.9.12
>>> since october. If you want to manually upgrade jack on your windows
>>> machine, it might work just to replace the old jack files with the
>>> one included in Radium. As I've expressed before, the installer should
>>> be removed, and jack should be installed locally for all programs
>>> wanting to use it. This will not break any programs. Radium partly
>>> does this already. Radium first checks if Jack is installed globally,
>>> and if not,
>> it
>>> uses the version of jack installed in the "jack_local" directory. But
>>> for this to work properly with more than one client, jack needs to
>>> inform where the currently used libraries are placed so that different
>>> clients aren't using different versions of the jack libraries.
>>>
>> This sound sort of crazy, but why not just wrap an nsis installer
>> around your 1.9.12 build?
>>

>> If you know how, please do. But it's the wrong way forward. What's the
>>
> advantage of installing jack globally? If all jack programs provide jack
> themselves, the user can easily choose which version of jack to run, just
>  by starting qjackctl (or a similar program) compiled for the version of
> jack you want to use.

The JACK API didn't change much so it makes sense to have that server as a
system-wide library IMHO. Not sure about ABI. This won't prevent to
package it along with the application, but this should be looked at as a
special case.
I've done some stuff with nsis in the past, it's pretty straight forward.
I can provide the install script if needed at some point in time.
Greetings