[Jack-Devel] Suggestion to include loopback capability in a Jack session

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Jan 1 16:32:55 CET 2017

On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 03:26:17AM +0000, Thomas Howe wrote:

> This time it's not an impossible-to-reproduce bug, but a feature request!
> Let me know it there's a better place to post this. I think similar things
> have been suggested before, but this idea for a 'loopback' client hasn't as
> far as I'm aware.

ALSA's 'jack' plugin can route audio from an ALSA-aware app to
jack. You can specify to which jack ports it should connect.

You need the alsa-plugins package and an .asoundrc file in your
home directory. This works by making the jack plugin the default
ALSA device. In the example below it will connect to zita-mu1 for
output. I'm using this with Opera, works perfectly.

Example .asoundrc:

---
pcm.!default {
    type plug