[Jack-Devel] Recorded from OSS /dev/dsp sound is too high pitched on FreeBSD

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 01:48:23 CET 2017

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 12:43 AM, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:

> Jack runs on FreeBSD 11 with this command line: jackd -r -doss -r48000
-p1024 -n3 -w16 --capture /dev/dsp6 --playback /dev/dsp2
> Sound recorded with this command 'jack_rec -f x.wav system:capture_1' is
too high pitched compared to the original.
> Recording using the 'sweep' app produces the correct pitch.
>
> What is wrong? How to fix?

I would guess that the samplerate is not matching the actual - either in
the OSS backend, or in the recorded materials settings. Given that jack_rec
records fine on Linux, I would guess that OSS backend isn't acquiring 48000
Hz sampling rate, but falling back to 44100 silently.

Then playing the content back (with jack_rec recording as if it was 48000,
and hence writing that as a .wav header ) would result in high pitched
playback..

> jack-0.124.1 installed from the FreeBSD port.

Unfortunatly I don't have a FreeBSD machine here to test - but look into
the sampling rates, and test 44100 to see if that works as expected.

Hope that helps, -Harry

--

http://www.openavproductions.com