[Jack-Devel] Thread realtime priority

John Rigg j at jrigg.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 09:38:22 CET 2017

On Sun, Jan 08, 2017 at 07:25:47PM -0800, Yuri wrote:
> Another problem is that FreeBSD doesn't allow to set thread priorities
> for non-root users

According to rtprio(1) manpage, users can set realtime priority if
sysctl variable security.bsd.unprivileged_idprio is set to non-zero.

I don't have a FreeBSD system to test this on, but it is of interest
to me. FreeBSD is looking increasingly attractive as Linux (which
I've used for pro audio work for 10+ years) acquires more and more
desktop-related baggage which requires increasing amounts of effort
to disable or remove.

John