[Jack-Devel] jack-headers merge ( the future of JACK(2))

micu micuintus at gmx.de
Sun Jan 15 18:21:25 CET 2017

Hello dear friends
(and enemies) of JACK1, JACK2, netJACK, jackDBUS, ...

Recently I tool the plunge and did a diff between

    <https://github.com/jackaudio/headers> (the one from jack1) and
    <https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/tree/master/common/jack>

to realize that the diff isn't actually as bad I feared it would be.

I quickly glanced through the differences, and most of what I found looks like
it shouldn't be too hard to fix (sth. like jackctl_sigmask_t being defined as
an opaque type in JACK2 etc.).

I'd like to offer my precious time for giving a jack-headers merge another
shot (I know Paul asked for some help on that already in 2012...).

As a first step I'd suggest moving the current JACK2 headers
to its own branch in

    <https://github.com/jackaudio/headers>

and start using the headers repository in JACK2, as well.

But before I start digging into the work,
I'd like to ask whether you'd be actually interested in that?
(Or in other words: whether someone is there to review and merge the PR ;)
I noticed some open pull requests are lingering in the JACK2 repository and I
wonder whether the development of JACK2 is stalled?)

Apart from that I'd like to ask a more generic question about the future of
JACK(2): As Paul mentioned in his step down notice, many GNU/Linux
distributions nowadays use JACK2 by default, and on Windows and OSX I'd
personally rather recommend using JACK2. In other words, I myself still am a
JACK2 fan naturally ;) (which doesn't mean I am against JACK1 or sth. like
that).

Paul mentioned some people having criticism about the JACK2 design, but I
wasn't able to find any information about the specific points of criticism.
Could you maybe provide me with some resources about that (links to blogs,
mailing list posts)?

Don't get me wrong: I please do NOT want to start a flame war here, but I'd
like to gain a better picture of the current situation.

Kind regards,
micu
--
OpenPGP / GnuPG:	0xE4CB4E80
Fingerprint:		1A15 A480 1F8B 07F6 9D12 3426 CEFE 7455 E4CB 4E80

<<</>>

http://www.micuintus.de