[Jack-Devel] jack-headers merge ( the future of JACK(2))

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jan 25 09:24:09 CET 2017

On 24/01/2017 21:12, Adrian Knoth wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 06:21:25PM +0100, micu wrote:
>
>> I'd like to offer my precious time for giving a jack-headers merge another
>> shot (I know Paul asked for some help on that already in 2012...).
>>
>> As a first step I'd suggest moving the current JACK2 headers
>> to its own branch in
>>
>>      <https://github.com/jackaudio/headers>
>>
> [...]
>
> instead of using git submodules for JACK2, how about we bring the
> headers repo in sync and then simply copy the files over to JACK2?

Sorry, what are you proposing to merge here?  Are there currently two
different lots of Jack2 headers?  Or are you proposing to merge the
headers from Jack2 and Jack1?  Or something else?

IIRC Jack2 currently has some structs which need to get built with
1-byte alignment for the various struct fields (except on one particular
platform).  Let's say the Jack1 & Jack2 headers got merged...  wouldn't
that problem get amplified and possibly break compatibility for either
Jack1 or Jack2?

John