[Jack-Devel] Jack to Bluetooth

Ruslan N. Marchenko me at ruff.mobi
Fri Jul 7 13:16:09 CEST 2017

On 07.07.2017 09:42, Athanasios Silis wrote:
> Hi there,
> has the OP managed to find a solution to their request on this topic?
>
> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 5:05 PM, sqweek <sqweek at gmail.com
> <mailto:sqweek at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 31 May 2017 at 23:46, Chris Caudle <chris at chriscaudle.org
>     <mailto:chris at chriscaudle.org>> wrote:
>
>         On Wed, May 31, 2017 10:19 am, jamie marchant wrote:
>         >   I'm new to Jack. Can it be used to redirect audio output over
>         > Bluetooth?
>
>         Most use of bluetooth would be connecting to a bluetooth
>         device, i.e.
>         playing computer audio through a bluetooth headphone.  What
>         you want is
>         for your computer to act as if the computer is a bluetooth
>         headphone.
>         That is not a common use case, so I would be very surprised if
>         that
>         connection direction is supported.
>

>     IIRC once I setup bluetooth my phone automatically routed audio
>     through to my [archlinux] laptop when connected, at least for
>     notifications and the like. It was never something I setup
>     intentionally though so I can't help with details. Pretty sure I
>     was using a windows phone at the time; possibly it was android.
>
>     ... not that any of this brings the subject closer to being on
>     topic for JACK. I'll be quiet now :)
>     -sqweek

That is workings of the PuleAudio. PA acts as a A2DP client and Jack can
just use its sinks/sources injected into Jack as ports via
bluetooth-jack driver - or via ALSA mediator.
So PA does remember your connections to each port and restores them once
both ends of connection become available (done by various *-restore
modules).
The problem with this setup of course is latency - PA+BT = (almost)
indefinite latency. So jack bus can be used here - but with little or no
benefits. Much easier (and more reliable) would be to connect them all
by PA.

--RR