[Jack-Devel] Jack won't start on boot

alex adrcki at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 18:41:17 CEST 2017

On 07/08/2017 07:22 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 19:11:31 +0300, alex wrote:
>> jackd -dalsa -dhw:1 -i2 -o4 -p512 -r48000
> Hi,
>
> run the command from command line, perhaps you get something like
>
> "ALSA: cannot set channel count to 2 for capture"
>
> and/or
>
> "ALSA: cannot set channel count to 4 for playback"
I'm able to run the command from the command line and Jack runs fine.
The thing is it won't run on boot. Actually, when booting up, after I
realize that Pd is running but Jack isn't (no sound is coming out, plus
the DSP can't go on in Pd, there's an LED for visual feedback that
doesn't go on), I SSH to the Odroid, and typing "top" sometimes shows
jack the first time, consuming quite some CPU (like 67 or even higher),
and then Jack disappears. Trying to kill Jack with "killall jackd" gives
me that there's no process found.

I read some threads about it and saw something about /etc/init.d/jackd
and /etc/default/jackd which were not in my system.
In this thread
http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/autostarting-jackd-at-bootup-with-Ubuntu-Debian-td66899.html
there are two links to these scripts, but putting them there (and making
/etc/init.d/jackd executable) didn't do the trick.