[Jack-Devel] Jack won't start on boot

alex adrcki at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 20:04:03 CEST 2017

On 07/08/2017 08:59 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 20:56:02 +0300, alex wrote:
>>> If you start jackd at boot, you start it for the very first time. If
>>> you start jackd after that from command line, it's already in the
>>> cache and might launch faster. I don't think it's the culprit, but it
>>> explains that running software for the first time does take longer,
>>> than starting it for the second time.
>> So do you recommend to add a delay after launching jack and before
>> launching pd?
> It doesn't harm.
>
> But instead of continuing guessing, it's much more important to
> redirect jackd's stdout und stderr to a log file, as explained by
> precious replies.
Well, I just tried to redirect jack's stdout and stderr as you suggested
to /tmp/jackd.log, but it doesn't happen. I created the following script
called 'launch_jack.sh':
date >>/tmp/jackd.log; killall -9 jackd; sleep 5; jackd -dalsa -dhw:1
-i2 -o4 -p512 -r48000 >>/tmp/jackd.log 2>&1 &

And then changed the rc.local to call this script, but there's no
jackd.log file. Again, if I run the script manually from the terminal,
the file is created and the following is being written in it:
sáb ene  1 11:35:26 ACDT 2000
jackdmp 1.9.10
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2013 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio1
creating alsa driver ... hw:1|hw:1|512|2|48000|2|4|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 512 frames (10.7 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

But only when started manually..