[Jack-Devel] Jack won't start on boot

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 9 16:08:50 CEST 2017

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 13:49:55 +0200, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>On 07/08/2017 06:11 PM, alex wrote:
>> The Odroid runs lubunty 14.04.2 LTS, and Jack is jackdmp 1.9.10
>
>while i don't know much about the odroid distributions, i guess this
>pretty much narrows down the actually used distribution.

Hi,

oops, indeed. I wasn't the only one missing the last sentence,
before the final question.

However, now we are aware that it's an upstart distribution.

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 14:26:55 +0300, alex wrote:
>So, I should replace (not that I've tried already) Hermann's
>suggestion with the following [snip]

Google is your friend ;). I don't know what you need to consider, when
using upstart. I guess the scripts should be equal to other init
scripts. Anyway, yes, you need to ignore Hermann's suggestion.

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 14:37:56 +0300, alex wrote:
>Audio device hw:1 cannot be acquired...
>Cannot initialize driver
>JackServer::Open failed with -1
>Failed to open server
>

>Even if I change hw:1 to hw:USB I get the same with:
>Audio device hw:USB cannot be acquired...

Since you don't get an "Invalid value for card", something else might
grab the audio interface. Maybe pulseaudio?

https://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty-updates/amd64/pulseaudio/filelist
shows /etc/init.d/pulseaudio .
See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBootupHowto#Directories_and_Configs
+ Ubuntu's so called user-friendly policy to automatically start
everything that could be started for an installed package, seems to
point to this or another service already grabbing the audio interface.

Regards,
Ralf

--
Vote for apulse!