[Jack-Devel] Jack won't start on boot

alex adrcki at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 16:53:15 CEST 2017

On 07/09/2017 05:34 PM, sqweek wrote:
> On 9 July 2017 at 22:21, alex <adrcki at gmail.com
> <mailto:adrcki at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Indeed that seems like a reason. I'm SSHing into to Odroid with -X
>     so I can launch Pd with its GUI, so I tried to SSH without -X and
>     jack wouldn't start, but then SSHing back with -X made jack start.
>
>     Can you post an example of how I should start jack with a startup
>     mechanism that's run by my graphical environment? I'm not really
>     following there...
>

> Having the graphical environment start jackd assumes that there is a
> graphical environment running on the Odroid, which I don't believe is
> the case here? Using -X with ssh forwards X11 connection attempts on
> the Odroid to the X server on your local machine, but since dbus afaik
> isn't network transparent[1] the DISPLAY you end up with via ssh -X
> will I think not be useful for the dbus side of jack. So you can
> probably get away with setting DISPLAY to something arbitrary in your
> init script, like:
>
> DISPLAY=:0 jackd -dalsa ...
That did it, kind of... Jack is starting and Pd too, but I get no sound.
The DSP does go on (there's an LED on the synth I've built that goes on
when Pd's DSP is on) but I can't hear anything.
Now though, I can SSH into the Odroid without -X and the script
launching jack and Pd works and sounds works fine.

This is jack's log:

jackdmp 1.9.10
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2013 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio1
creating alsa driver ... hw:USB|hw:USB|512|2|48000|2|4|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 512 frames (10.7 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not finished, state = Triggered
Jack main caught signal 15
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not finished, state = Triggered
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
Released audio card Audio1
audio_reservation_finish

But this is the log when the script is run manually (and sound works
properly):

[...]

So, what could the issue be now?