[Jack-Devel] Jack won't start on boot

sqweek sqweek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 11:57:13 CEST 2017

On 20 July 2017 at 17:39, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:

> On 07/20/2017 01:44, John Rigg wrote:
>
>> Because it was compiled with dbus support. That makes jackd refuse
>> to start unless it thinks X is running. I recompile jack2 on Debian
>> without dbus for this reason.
>>

> This appears to be a wrong behavior that jackd ever requires a DISPLAY
> variable, because sound should have nothing to do with X.

I'm not going to disagree with you, but your distaste is directed at the
wrong list. Jack2 uses dbus to cooperate with pulseaudio so that they can
co-exist on the same machine. And while I'd personally rather run jack by
itself, pulseaudio unfortunately seems to be a requirement for eg.
bluetooth audio on linux at present.

-Rowan