[Jack-Devel] JACK2 1.9.11-RC1 is now tagged

Thomas Brand tom at trellis.ch
Wed Jun 14 15:02:47 CEST 2017

On Wed, June 14, 2017 14:17, Stéphane Letz wrote:

>> Le 14 juin 2017 à 14:14, Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com>
>> a écrit :
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Kjetil Matheussen
>> <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Great news Filipe!
>>

>> I'm happy that you are the new maintainer.
>>

>> Just to be clear, Stephane did a very good job too of course.
>>

>>> The reason is that we have already had a 1.9.11 release for Windows
>>> (when you go to jackaudio.org and download for windows, you find
>>> 1.9.11).
>>>

>> Also, the last OSX release is placed under a "1.9.11" directory, so I
>> guess that one is a 1.9.11 release as well.
>
> The latest JackOSX 0.93 package was indeed based on jackd 1.9.11. Having
> a same numbering for OS X stuff would certainly help. The hard part is to
> create this OS X specific package again.
>
> Stéphane

Hi,
i'm just thinking out loud for releases -

Hand-crafting a release for OS X or Windows sounds like serious magic for
most people while for Linux it's relatively straight forward.

If there would be a release process that's doing all the hard work
automatically, a new release wouldn't bind resources that are more
valuable to invest in other aspects. There wouldn't be -RC releases and
found to be good binaries would be just a specific release out of a
(RC-style release) series.

IMO the Ardour project is a good example of how to handle releases. They
manage to automatically create binaries (in several variations) for Linux,
OS X and Windows on a daily basis.
While the JACK codebase won't change on a daily basis, the release process
can be handy nonetheless. I wondered if some of the Ardour build
infrastructure could be re-used for JACK? Like surfing on the same wave.
Robin could do it i'm sure - I'm wondering if this is looked at as a
reasonable proposal. I'm sure we'd find community members to sponsor the
needed initial work in some way to people who can do it.
Any thoughts?

Best regards
Thomas